Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sad, Sleepy Mommy

When Bailey was about 2 months old, she went from her Bassinett into...not the crib, but mommy and daddy's bed. I guess I was just lazy, but she would sleep all night when she was next to me and it was so easy. Well, it is now catching up to me. Lately she has had awful sleep habits. Last night she did not go to bed until after 2am. She was crawling around and banging on the walls and was so hyped up. So we thought today she would be exhuasted. Well, it is now 9:50 pm and she has not slept all day (no nap). I FINALLY had it and could no longer take her crankiness, so I put her in her crib and shut the door. It has now been an hour and she is still crying and it makes me so sad. I want to just go get her and give her a big hug but I know that this will be better in the long run. If anyone has any advice on bed time...PLEASE tell me. This is harder than I thought!

6 comments:

Tressa said...

This was given to me by another mom when I had my first. Put them in their bed at the bedtime you want them to go to bed. If they start crying wait 15 minutes and go in there, tell them you love them and put them back down to sleep. Close the door. If they start crying or are still crying wait 30 minutes. Then repeat the process adding 15 minutes before you go in. But never pick them up and cuddle them, just lay them down again. The first night is the worst but they eventually fall asleep. The second night is a lot better and by the third night it's usually not bad at all. It might be worth a try. I hope things get better.

Christina said...

she said exactly what i was going to say too.. I had to do this for a while when Zach all of a sudden had bad sleeping problems too... it rally works, Its hard to hear them crying, i totally understand, but it does get better if you consistently keep going in and laying her down.

Trent and Mel said...

I laid her down at first and she stood up. When I looked at the baby moniyor an hour later she was STILL standing. I will have to try going in and laying her down and adding 15 minutes. Thanks guys!

S+S said...

man, that is so frustrating. Just keep it up...hopefully it will get better, because what's going on now doesn't sound like much fun.

Kris said...

hey melissa, Tell Trent to check the family website - Lucy has a question for him.

The Pender Family said...

Establish a regular routine and stick to it! If you want her in bed by 8:00, then give her a warm bath at 7:30 to relax her. Would music help in her bedroom? Cade has the turtle tank in his room with Chaye and the sound of the water filter knocks them both out! All our kids have been great sleepers - they're usually out when they hit the pillow. Even the teen and tweens.... They all sleep in the car on trips, too. We got really lucky to get 6 for 6 on this! Miss you guys! ~Channa

Bailey

Bailey